Saturday, March 18, 2006

My amazing rainbow scarf

Here is my newest scarf. I think that it is bound for my Dad. It looks like it will be a perfect pride day scarf. Though I might give it to Hugh (one of my Dad's friends), because it would match the rainbow hat I made him for Christmas. It took me three days!


I am quite happy with the scarf, and thought that I would try my hand at putting a free pattern up for people to use. Here it is:

Requirements: Lots of left over yarn in similar sizes (though if you have small yarn, you can always double it up to match the thicker yarns), for my example my yarn is worsted weight, or thereabouts.
Needles: I used size 6 circulars (US), use larger needles for chunky yarn, and smaller for thinner yarn.

CO 24 stitches (or an even multiple of four) in a colour that you want to start your rainbow in (I started with purples).
In same colour work basketweave pattern with a two stitch garter border on each side:
k2,* k4, p4* repeat * to last two, k2.
k2, *p4, k4* repeat to last two, k2.
repeat these two rows once

k2, *p4, k4* repeat to last two, k2.
k2, *k4, p4*, repeat to last two, k2.
repeat once

now change to another colour in the same colour segway and repeat ad nauseum. If you have less or a little more of the colour that you are using, you can start the next yarn earlier or later.

Change to the next colour (i.e. from purple to red and so on) after about a foot (or when you run out of yarns in that colour).

At the end you can add fringe, for mine, I added fringe in the colours at the ends.

And block

Now, here is my tank top. I finished blocking it, and am now wearing it. This isn't a terribly flattering picture of me, but I try. I am quite happy with how it turned out, the first top I have successfully made that fit me! Woot for my week tank top.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay, Katie is now listed!

Anonymous said...

Yay!

Katies' Richard.

Beerhound Brewery said...

Hi great reading your bllog